Sunday, May 29, 2011

Funny People

     Last night, sick as one could humanly be, I decided to let HBO guide my movie watching. I just so happened to come upon the movie Funny People, starring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen. I must be honest up front with this, even though they can be funny at times, I am not really a big fan of either.

     Andam Sandler tends to spend most of his movies yelling at the camera, and making ridiculous voices, and when it comes to Seth Rogen, I fail to see his mainstream appeal.  That being said, I did enjoy each of their performances in this movie.
     From the promotional material put out about this movie I expected a "this is how a struggling comedian makes it in the industry" kind of film. However, we are given the story of a wildly successful comedian, that has been given the news that he is very sick, and likely does not have long to live. This opens his eyes to what his life really is, beyond all the success. Having no true friends in this world, he takes a rather new and green (for lack of a better word) performer (played by Rogen) under his wing as his opening act, to try and cultivate one real friendship, before he dies.

     There are multiple stand up comedy breaks in the movie, with material by many, many comics from lesser knowns, recently popular, and a ton of cameos from actors, comic legends, as well as an appearance by rapper Eminiem, that was one of my absolute favorite scenes in the movie.

     I can say that I am truly glad to have watched this movie. Even if being sick was the only reason I did. I will be sitting down with my wife to watch it again, I think she will enjoy it also.
                       





No comments:

Post a Comment